David Imes is a Vaquero (Exclusive Interview)
Weight: 240 lbs
Hometown: Brooklyn, NY
As a high school player, David Imes played at Boys & Girls High School in Brooklyn in the New York Public School Athletic League (PSAL), where he averaged 11 points and 14 rebounds in his senior season. He was the leading rebounder in the New York Public School Athletic League (PSAL) where he was named to the Second-Team All-City and first-team all-defense.
In 2009, Imes debuted with Hofstra Pride for his college basketball career. In his freshman year, he played in 21 games for the Pride, coming off the bench, where he averaged 1.2 points and 1.2 rebounds per game. As a sophomore, he started all 33 games, where averaged 7.6 points and a team-high 6.8 rebound with 50% shooting from the floor. In his third year, he played 27 games before an injury shortened his season where he averaged 7.0 points and 5.4 rebounds, finishing second on the team with 26 blocked shots. Also, he posted seventh career double-double. This senior year as a starter, he is averaged 7.3 points, 5.2 rebounds and 0.7 steal per game in 29.2 minutes per contest. David Imes shared some words with BEEB. He will make his professional debut this year with the Vaqueros of Bayamon in the Baloncesto Superior Nacional in Puerto Rico.
1. (BEEB) Who is David Imes and could you talk about your size, position, abilities and more?
(DI)David imes I’m from Brooklyn , New York I’m 6’6 /6’7 225. I am also a dad of two beautiful little girls that have motivated me to go harder. I am a SF and can play some PF because of my rebounding ability and being able to guard multiple positions from the SG to the PF I think defense first I love to get my team mates motivated and ready for war every night. I am capable of scoring in multiple ways. Off the dribble ,off a screen , in the post or running the floor for easy transition baskets.
2. (BEEB) When did you begin in basketball?
(DI) I began playing basketball at the age 11 I played baseball before basketball became the love of my life.
3. (BEEB) Why you chosed to play for Hofstra over other universities?
It was close to home I felt comfortable when I went to visit the school. The coaching staff made me feel comfortable.
4. (BEEB) What are your expectations for this season?
(DI)Finish up strong and try to make a run in the playoffs to live out my dream as a senior and get to the NCAA tournament
5.(BEEB) Have you ever played with Puerto Rico?
(DI) No I have never played.
6. (BEEB) You where selected by Vaqueros de Bayamon in the BSN Draft, are you going to play basketball in Puerto Rico this season?
(DI) Yeah I’m excited and yes I will becoming once my season is over to come play on Puerto Rico this season
7. (BEEB) How would you impact the Vaqueros de Bayamon?
(DI) With my leadership , vocally , emotionally …. Being able to play multiple positions and guard multiple positions. Scoring the ball and rebounding the ball as well.
8. (BEEB) Flor Melendez is the coach of Vaqueros and also of the PR National Team, How will you convince him that you have the material to play with the PR National Team?
(DI) I was informed that when I was drafted. Just play my game and showing him how aggressive I am and how much I can bring to the table to help In any way I’m asked
9. (BEEB) Where come off your Puerto Rican roots?
(DI) San Juan my grandmother and grandfather
10. (BEEB) What is your best skill in basketball? What skills you need to improve in basketball?
(DI) Just an all around play. I need to work more on handling the ball in a press.
11. (BEEB) What is your best skill in basketball?
(DI) Best skill in basketball is shooting the ball and getting others involved.
12. (BEEB) What has been your greatest achievement in basketball?
(DI) As of right now being able to play college basketball at the highest level
13. (BEEB) Who is your favorite player in basketball? Who is your favorite team?
(DI) Carmelo Anthony that’s who I mold my game after. My favorite team is the Miami Heat and Brooklyn Nets
14. (BEEB) What do you want for your future?
(DI) To become as successful as possible. Take care of myself and my family.
15. (BEEB) Some words for the boricua en el basket fans?
(DI) That I promise to give my country every inch of blood sweat and tears I have in my body.
Interview by: Jose Castro / https://twitter.com/castroj1pr